So my venture into natural living began with essential oils. Because of their versality, you can substitute A LOT of toxic chemicals products with EO DIY creations. It's pretty brilliant! They can uplift your mood, help with seasonal illness, turn into cleaning and self care influencers - I could go on and on! It’s so cool!
So here's the gist if you're new to the realm of essential oils or maybe you just want a refresh.
Essential oils have been around for centuries and are known as a form of herbal medicine. They are highly concentrated compounds that derive from the plant itself whether it is from the flower, leaf, bark, stem, etc. In order to ensure that you receive the absolute best and most effective essential oils, processes like first distillation or cold pressing are used to extract the oil from the source. This level of quality procedure assures the highest available beneficial properties in our oils. It takes A LOT of work to get that oil processed into the amber glass bottle you're familiar with, hence the variation in price! You get what you pay for here.
Ways to utilize essential oils in your daily lifestyle:
- Aromatherapy or Diffusion: Add 3-5 drops to a diffuser with water to experience essential oils in an effective and simply way, ditch the candles y'all - they're terrible for you! Feel free to combine and experiment with various oils in your diffuser to create a unique blend to your liking! A simple combo I love is Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint. Through a diffuser, oils are dispersed in a micro-fine vapor, allowing them to remain suspended in the air for extended periods of time. The oils are dispersed without heating them so they retain their therapeutic benefits. When inhaled, the oils are easily absorbed through the lungs. Depending on the oil used, diffusing can cleanse the air of odor, calm overactive children, and support respiration - to just name a few!
- Topically: Mix essential oils with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil, avocado oil when applying topically. Your skin accepts an essential oil into your system much more quickly and effectively with a carrier oil – which contributes to you earning the effect of that oil at a quicker pace. Common uses include Peppermint oil mixed with a carrier oil and applied to your sore muscles after a tough workout; Lavender and a carrier oil rubbed onto the soles of your feet before going to bed to help promote a restful sleep.
- Steam: Add a couple drops of essential oil to a steamy cup of water and inhale for a method of introducing warm, moist air into the lungs via the nose and throat for therapeutic benefit. This moist air can alleviate difficult breathing and inflammation as well as increase circulation and help prevent excessive drying of mucus membranes.
Here's a steam experiment recipe to try next time you need some nasal, congestion, or sinus relief; Add 1 drop of Oregano, Peppermint, Tea Tree, and Lemon to steaming water and inhale! It's literally AMAZING and works wonders!
- Bath: Add 5-10 drops of essential oil to carrier oil for extra moisturizing, yass! Add this blend to your running bath water, slid in, and enjoy! Lavender and eucalyptus are fantastic for this!
- Ingest: Some oils are safe to ingest such as 1 drop of grapefruit or orange in water for a quick energy boost! Also, a great combo to drink in the morning - first thing is warm water with a drop of Lemon, it really helps your digestion system. Also, some oils can be used for cooking or baking to add an incredible boost of flavor such as lime for tacos or fajitas for taco tuesday or basil for pizza friday, am i right?! ;)
- DIY creations: Incorporate essential oils into your cleaning and self care products, laundry, kitchen, and so much more!
So needless to say, essential oils just make everything a little bit better!
Want to learn more, have questions, or snag some oils? Reach out! I’d love to help ya!
For oily things 😊